Monday, January 26, 2015

Nice set of instructions for speeding up your web pages

Today I was testing my site and I realized that one of the CDNs I was using was hanging.  Not wanting my website to be at the mercy of more failure points than necessary, I brought the hosted jQuery and Bootstrap files in house. 

The result was a surprise: good speed on Chrome but slow on Firefox.

Anyway, I found a nice resource on speeding up a web page with at lot of details that I hadn't learned before:

http://www.sitepoint.com/complete-guide-reducing-page-weight/

One interesting thing is that browsers have a limit for how many web requests they will make to one server at a time.  It's possible that it was this that made the difference between page load times on Firefox and Chrome.  It's a good argument for compiling all your CSS and JS together into one file each per page.


No comments:

Post a Comment