Thursday, November 27, 2014

An address for a specific number on a web page

A fun game to play when you are surfing the web and see something of interest is to right click the object and then choose the option "Inspect Element."  On my desktop in Chrome or in Firefox, what happens when I do this is that developer tools open up and I can look at the element itself.

So that brings up the question: can the address of that element be exported and used?  Can you, instead of linking to a page, link to an element on that page?  If so, can you use that to follow a number or a text field as it changes over time?

The answer, of course, is 'sometimes.'  How quickly the element address breaks depends on the page.

The question of how to reliably get a particular snippet of information from a page is important and I'll be coming back to it as I build nnums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment